Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: MAO-MAO WAR

Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:45:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

Hi folks,

>- --- Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca>
>wrote:
>
>> Australia? Going further how would you do it for an
>> entire planet,
>> especially one settled for a century or more? Or is

No he didn't.  That was Beth.

>Planets of low value overall, with multiple
>settlements who fight among themselves with low-tech
>weaponry (Los's Epsilon Eridani, fer instance).
>
>Planets with low value and single settlements, who
>pretty much have police and some militia who never
>have to do their job.

This view of the types of worlds makes sense to me, though I think that
the
majority would be likely to fit into types two and three.  Though it
would
also depend on the age of the colony.  A colony that right now is a
single-settlement-low-value might in fifty years be more valuable
because
of resource discoveries, etc.  And what about the
"single-settlement-valuable" type - founded by a corporation or colony
company to take advantage of a resource, or for an advanced naval base,
or
whatever.

>> this a case of "in
>> reality you just bomb them into submission and send
>> in troops to pick off
>> what you want later", which makes for a boring game
>> so we ignore that and
>> pretend the much more dramatic beach-head style
>> thing can happen?

That was Beth again...

>I'm going to assume that given an entire planet to
>choose from, they are going to live relatively near
>the high-value items that the invading force is going
>to want intact.

That was my point.

> Besides which, if the ESU starts
>nuking colony planets clean, then the NAC is going to
>start nuking colony planets clean, and who the hell
>wants that?  You end up with a lot of sterile little
>ex-colonies.

Yep.  The various factions want the territory, not smoking ruins.  We
see
that in the official timeline - they're invading colonies to take them,
not
destroying them from orbit.

>> Agreed we're pretending we don't have HonorVerse
>> assumptions (if you
>> control the high-orbitals, the planet is obligated
>> to surrender to prevent
>> massive civilian casualties, because everyone
>> accepts that once you lose
>> the high orbitals, you can't defend against orbital
>> bombardment).  That
>
>Which is simply because David Weber isn't interested
>in ground combat and can't write it worth a damn.

Whatever.  :)

His assumptions make sense for his universe.

And that's the great thing about this stuff... you can define your terms
suit your objectives...

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: MAO-MAO WAR