Prev: RE: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with Next: RE: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:51:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

Alan Brain wrote:

> >Mostly because the missiles and grenades I'm designing are a few %
the size
> >of the weapons your products defend against, so have very little
spare mass
> >and volume for counter-measures :-( Naval SSMs don't have to be
> >man-portable; my products do.
>
>But you *may* be able to make up in volume of fire what you lose on
>individual round effectiveness.

Which effectively means "well-prepared ambushes only". Of course that's
the
preferred way to use 'em already, but it'd be nice to retain *some*
encounter-battle capability :-/

>No, that doesn't help the individual with a Panzerfaust/Buzzbomb or
>modern equivalent (NLAW?).

Which is a problem if the individuals start thinking that *they're* as
single-shot as their weapons.

> >So far, the best anti-PDS weapon system available to us is a .5"
sniper
> rifle :-/
>
>A 12-round salvo of Mortar shells, mixed jammers, blinders, and STRIX
>would do the job.

As long as you're far enough away, yes. (You'll need at least 4 tubes to

fire those rounds fast enough though, unless you have a *very* fast
auto-loader.)

>And getting your own PGMs to home in means that some sensors the target
>may have cannot be jammed effectively, or you get fratricide.
>Maybe GPS with pre-computed-at-fire-time dead-reckoning?

Won't help much against moving targets, though - particularly not with
the
long flight times mortar rounds have.

>Even the Yanks are developing PG mortars now.

<g> It's about time, don't you think?

>They'll catch up to where Sweden was 5 years ago, in a few years
anyway.

Unless they cancel the program again, like they did with SADARM... the
latest Iraqi war came just too late to save that program. (Not that I
complain, of course - it makes BONUS the most likely replacement now
that
United Defence has bought it :-/ )

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with Next: RE: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with