Prev: Re: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital) Next: RE: [FT] Purty Pictures

RE: [SG2] weapons

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:24:18 +1100
Subject: RE: [SG2] weapons

G'day,

> Now, apply this to SF colonial warfare.  Your
> very-expensive high-tech brigade battle group or
> division task force (the largest formation mentioned
> in the official GZG timeline) can beat 10-20 times
> it's own numbers in low tech garbage troops....
> Given a choice between raising 15
> Brigades of People's Militia and knowing they aren't
> worth a damn or getting together 2-3 brigades of
> Regulars and then keeping them in the field 4-6 months
> a year so they get very, very, very good....
> Militia might be fine for fending off pirates or
> somesuch, but without a modicum of serious training
> and a commitment to equip them with modern weaponry
> they aren't going to do much more.

This may be a naive question but will it cost as much to keep the "15
Brigades of People's Militia" with their low tech "live off the land"
stuff as the high tech "2-3 brigades of Regulars"? Also what are the
resupply issues like? For instance, as far as I can tell from the Aussie
defence papers I've read we're leaning toward buying German not US tanks
because the US ones don't have enough reach in the petrol tank. Most of
this stuff is beyond my area of knowledge, but won't economics come as
much into play in the future as it does now? Ok the NAC with supposedly
cutting edge and mega-population should kick everyone's butt, but them
aside how would it stand?

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital) Next: RE: [FT] Purty Pictures