Prev: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons Next: Re: FT Demo - Advice, Do's, Don'ts?

Re: John and Imre....was: weapons

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:08:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons

--- John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And in my squad
> we got a guy who's picking up a lot of Arabic, but
> he's Makmood Tikriti (Brother of Tikrit, or something
> to that effect)

"Makmood" is a mispronunciation of Mahmood (with a very hard "H"),
which means "the one for whom thanks is given", a common muslim name.

"Tikriti" means "of Tikrit" or "from Tikrit".  Its use in this case is
as a place-name surname, like "Luciano" or "Lucassi".  Place-name
surnames are quite common in arabic.

Prev: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons Next: Re: FT Demo - Advice, Do's, Don'ts?