Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital)

RE: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital)

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:27:53 -0700
Subject: RE: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital)

I can see that there will always be a need for salvage, medical response
or emergency response such that a commercial interest would get in on
the act.

For instance, if the salvage fee is 10% of book value, it only requires
a company to salvage a cruiser or a couple of destroyers to make
operating costs for the year and a large battle could make them
Mcr-aires.

Along those lines, SAR/recovery/salvage for lost cruiseliners,
freighters etc. is probably a constant business too, the major cost
being a fast FTL ship with excellent sensors.  A larger, slower
"hospital" or "salvage" ship could then be sent afterwards after the
salvage/recovery crew had already secured the distressed ship.

Another opportunity would be specialized medical treatment for disasters
- not all worlds are going to have the best
radiation/genetic/nanosurgery facilities available - what about a roving
Hospital ship that travels from colony to colony providing top-line
medical care once or twice a year?

Construction companies (especially those involved in installing
powerplants) might hire a hospital ship to be on standby in case of a
construction accident or something horrible happening on power-up.  It
might even be required as part of their contract.

The key economic factors - are there salvage rights, how profitable are
the rights, and the cost of FTL compared to the cost of medical
services.