Prev: Re: Fleet Replenishment tender Next: Re: FT – Fleet Replenishment tenders (hospital)

Re: RR, High tech and misc - was RE: [SG2] weapons

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:40:59 +0100
Subject: Re: RR, High tech and misc - was RE: [SG2] weapons

Imre Szabo wrote:

> >Weight yes, width:length ratio no. For a given liner shape (usually a
cone
> >or a kind of trumpet bell-shape) the length of a HEAT warhead is by
> >necessity very close to proportional to its diameter. If you just
increase
> >the diameter without increasing the length you have to use a flatter
cone,
> >and reduces the penetration:diameter ratio.
>
>Supposedly using gold for the liner can increase penetration without
>increasing diameter or length.

You can do lots of things with the liner material to increase
penetration
without increasing the diameter, but most of them - including using
gold,
I'm afraid - don't improve the performance very much compared to today's

best in-production warheads even theoretically, much less in lab
experiments :-( (And as for putting them into mass production, well...)

> >There are plenty of two-stage RR rounds available - eg. every single
one
> >fired from an RPG-7, or the modern Carl Gustaf HEAT rounds (551 and
751).
> >The speed increases provided by their in-trajectory engines are
relatively
> >moderate though, due to the accuracy problems mentioned above - it's
> >biggest in the RPG-7 (some of its grenade types are boosted from
about 100
> >m/s to about 300 m/s), but the accuracy suffers accordingly.
>
>Basebleed rounds is way to retian velocity without decreasing accuracy.

Irrelevant for this particular part of the discussion, I'm afraid. In
the
above section we're talking about the problems with INCREASING the
velocity
from whatever the RR can provide (a few hundred m/S, in the case of a
shoulder-launched weapon) to fast enough that a PDS can't stop it (1500
m/s
or more - preferrably a lot more!), without losing any accuracy in the
process.

Basebleed units are utterly unable to do that - all they do is to reduce

the drag on the round (and thus its *de*celeration) to a minimum by
eliminating the wake in the air behind it. If you want a hyper-velocity
basebleed round, it needs to be hypervelocity by the time it leaves the
muzzle.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Fleet Replenishment tender Next: Re: FT – Fleet Replenishment tenders (hospital)