Prev: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons Next: Subject: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added?

Re: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:13:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons

--- Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> Probably not; I like toying with possibilities.

I dislike making the player just along for the ride
and to roll the dice.  Morale is all well and good in
ground combat where it can be demonstrated
historically that it had a real effect.  I just don't
see any modern warships refusing orders.  The commo is
too good to play stupid, and everyone on the ship
pretty much doesn't see past their piece of the pie
except the senior officers.  The black gang doesn't
know where the enemy is or really where the ship is
going, they just know what speed the Captain wants,
and they give it to him, until machinery starts
breaking down.	Likewise a gun turret crew has no
control over where the ship goes, they just shoot at
the targets--and only a moron would refuse that order
(killing bad guys ALWAYS increases survival rates).
And so forth.

> Not really germaine to the discussion.

Yes it is.  Remember, your average O3 and higher would
rather chop off sensitive bits of personal anatomy
than endanger his promotion chances.  Or a nicer way
of saying it would be that most in any navy worthy of
the name would be way to professional to NOT try to
close to torpedo range with that Dreadnought, even in
a tin can.

John

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: John and Imre....was: weapons Next: Subject: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added?