Prev: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added? Next: [OT] MAJOR auroral storm in progress!

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:37:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

So le me get this straight....

--- "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> > I SAW your comments, you'll notice my comments
> were in
> > REPLY to them.  The question I have is this:  If
> the
> > enemy has sophisticated EMP weaponry, why the hell
> are
> > they sporting low-tech RR's?
>
> Because they are effective against everything except
> the front of tank, they
> are cheap so you can build ten times as many then
> GMS for the same money,

(Hmmm..... so in the future, the cost of a GMS will be
exactly ten times that of an equally effective RR?
I'd love to see how you came up with that figure.....)

> and this means you can affordably stockpile large
> numbers all over the
> place.

In other words, you're going to spend enough to deploy
the EMP device(s), then SAVE by using RR's instead of
GMS'?  Robbing Peter to pay Paul, are we?

> Assume side A is lower tech then side B.  Side A
> intiates the use technology
> destroying warheads.	Side B retailates in kind.
> End result, B has farther
> to fall, so B's combat effectiveness and morale will
> tend fall much more so
> then for A.

You're assuming a lot, primarily that B will be
successful in it's use of this strategy.  Furthermore,
you've started with a particular weapon system you
really really want to justify, and developed an entire
set of strategies just to make it effective.  While
this MIGHT work, IF all the dice gfo your way, it
sounds a lot like letting the weapon dictate the
strategy, instead of the other way around.

> All you need is a microwave radiation warhead to
> deal with PDS.  The U.S. is
> doing R&D in it right now.

So you pitch a fit about the assumption that Tanks
will advance more than RR's, but you're telling me
that we will see no advances in shielding battlefield
gear FROM EMP?	Mr. Pot, this is my friend, Mr.
Kettle.

And you still haven't answered the question, IF the
EMP DOESN'T take out the PDS/ADS, how will a low
velocity weapon fare against them? (if you want to
address LVC's and RR's separately, feel free.)

=====
"Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."   -- John A.
Hrastar

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added? Next: [OT] MAJOR auroral storm in progress!