Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: [SG2] weapons

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:55:58 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

John Atkinson wrote:

> >John, didn't you hear about that incident before you left Iraq?
>
>Nope.	The only one I heard about was the M1A1 that
>rolled over a 300lb IED and lost two crewmembers.

That one was in your division, wasn't it... the reports I saw called it
an
M1A2, but against that much explosives it wouldn't have mattered at all.

The "mystery RPG" incident happened either the same day or a day before
the
IED one; Ryan described most of the details. What he didn't say was that

the hit managed to wreck quite a lot of electronics including the turret

traverse controls, so the tank was rendered combat ineffective but could

move back to base under its own power - in SG/DS terms an "SD:T" hit
rather
than a "BOOM".

 From the damage inflicted - the pics were available on the net for at
least a week - it is also clear that this wasn't the normal old RPG-7V
(far
too little break-up of the "whatever it was" <g> - aka HEAT jet - for
that), and that made the US tankers very nervous for a while since there

was "something unknown out there which could take out an Abrams".
Because
of this "mystery" the incident caused more stir in the media than the
IED
one, with some "experts" even suggesting that the Iraqis were using
electro-magnetic cannon (!) - the Israeli tank losses to IEDs earlier
this
year have taught even Joe Public that massive amounts of explosives can
kill a tank no matter how well-armoured it is, so the newsies couldn't
make
a mystery out of it.

Exactly what weapon did this I don't know, but you can take your pick of

any of a number of modern RPGs or LAWs.

> >However, *A*DS systems capable of destroying submunition carrier
rounds
> >before they deploy their cargo are currently under development :-/
>
>The assumption being that you really gotta overload those things to be
>effective.

Yep. It is intended to be able to stop an incoming Katyusha salvo
though,
so you'll probably need a lot of emphasis on the "really" when they get
it
to work.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: [SG2] weapons