Prev: Re: [OT] Spearhead Next: Re: [SG2] weapons

Re: [OT] Spearhead

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:44:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Spearhead

--- Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 05:24:05PM -0800, John
> Atkinson wrote:
>
> >Something about most wargames--they want to rate
> >minefields as AT, AP, or mixed, with the mixed
> being
> >less effective than the pure.  That's bogus--the
> >density of AT mines is actually higher in the more
> >common mixed minefields (Block, for instance) than
> in
> >AT-pure disrupts.  It just has AP mines _also_.
>
> I would assume this is for game balance - otherwise
> players are going to
> use mixed all the time.
>
> Why doesn't the US Army use mixed all the time? (I
> can guess some
> possible answers, but I'd like to hear it...)

Time constraints.  If you can do the job with an
AT-pure field, then you do because it saves time.  I
mean, if you have a choice between putting in 500m of
mixed block or 1500m of AT-pure fix, then the choice
is less obvious.

Oh, and some idiot put out an executive order saying
we wouldn't use AP mine except in Korea and Middle
East.

John

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Prev: Re: [OT] Spearhead Next: Re: [SG2] weapons