Prev: Re: Detailing sci-fi vehicle conversions Next: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)

Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:41:31 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)

Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> írta:

> ***
> The two Hungarian Generals of 1848 who most likely fit the bill are
Jozef
> Bem, actually a Pole, who led Honved troops throughout the
Revolution,
> drove
> the Austrians out of Transylvania, defeated the Russians several
times, and
> was eventually nominated by Kossuth to be the Commander in Chief
of the
> Honved, and Artur Gorgei, who defeated the main Austrian army and
relieved
> Komorn fortress, and I think was responsible for recapturing Pest in
1849.
> ***
>
> Both sound like good possibilities for SOME kind of capital ships.
>
> Ákos, could you ask those same 'experts' as to the relative respect
with
> which each is held? Alas, in spite of some college work many decades
ago,
> my knowledge of central European history is not merely woefully
inadequate,
> it's simply woeful.
>
> The_Beast

Yep, I'll ask them. One of them told me about György Klapka was
helding off quite a number of Austrians at the siege of Komarom.
He was defending the fortress.

Man, it's a shame how I forgot all these things, as history was one of
my favourite. .. Yet I could quote the hundred-so SW modules I used to
work on. Work is quite good bleaching out not used knowledge.

If one is interested I'll get and translate some infos about Hungarian
Generals in 1848-49. Question is, should it be posted on the list..?
(At least good for naming NSL ships. :-) )

Prev: Re: Detailing sci-fi vehicle conversions Next: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)