Prev: Re: The burgeoning Full Thrust "scene" in Grand Rapids, MI Next: Re: The burgeoning Full Thrust "scene" in Grand Rapids, MI

Re: The burgeoning Full Thrust "scene" in Grand Rapids, MI

From: FlakMagnet72 <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:21:21 -0500
Subject: Re: The burgeoning Full Thrust "scene" in Grand Rapids, MI

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 10:04 am, Doug Evans wrote:
> Big thanks, Tim!
>
> Did you come up with any ideas or observations in the teaching
process?
> Obviously, don't snow folks with too many details or add-ons is a
given,
> and one you perfectly took to heart.

It's the best way to learn any game, and that's what I was doing.  I
learned
the different parts of each section of rules right along with the
players.
While they played, I read to make sure we were doing that part of the
rules
right.

Oh, BTW, we're playing Vector, naturally.

> I know that finally demo-ing to my girlfriend while she was a captive
> audience in a hospital bed brought a few things to mind. One, diagrams
or
> templates as examples of possible moves with various initial speeds
and
> thrusts might help to visualize what are the possible moves of an
opponent,
> and how to plot your own. I think I suggested earlier, when playing
> one-on-one with a newbie, that you plot your own move, then let them
> measure their own potential moves before making the move, and
introduce
> written plots as they gain confidence.

Sheesh!  My wife wouldn't even entertain gaming if she was laid up.
You're a
conniving man... but I mean that in a nice way.

I'd done away with written orders for my son (5 at the time) when he and
played a while ago.  I still wrote my orders.  It worked out just fine.

> Please do add any idea, or shoot mine down if you must, that you can!
;->=

--
--Tim
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72