Prev: [List] Putting on the garb of cheerleader... Re: FT: NAC Lancers Next: Re: (OFFLIST) DLD 15mm's, and yet another dropship idea

Re: [SG2] AGL vs SAW

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 07:55:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] AGL vs SAW

Cloaking Lurker Mode Off...

Seeing how nobody else tuned up, I will.  The weapon you describe is the
M174.  It was used, in Vietnam and fired most standard velocity 40mm
grenades.  Note the Mark 19 fires special high velocity grenades.  Basic
stats for the M174E3 version are as follows:

Empty Weight: 16 lbs.
Loaded Weight: 26 lbs.
Overall Length: 28 in.
Muzzle Velocity: 250 fps.
Type of Fire: Selective
Cyclic Rate: 300 rpm
Max Range: 1,200 ft
Feed Device: 12 round drum  Note, this is for the man portable, not
vehicle
mounted version.
Grenades that will not feed: M576E1 Multiple projectile round (#4
Buckshot)
Grenades too long to fit: CS Gas M651E1; all flare and smoke grenades.
Note: these grenades can be loaded individually and fired one at a time.

The big advantage when compared to the Mark 19 is logistics, the same
grenades feed everything with the M174.  The down side is much shorter
range, lower cyclic rate, and slightly less filler (explosives) in the
HE
grenades.

I have a b&w picture of the M174E3 mounted on a M122 (M60) tripod in a
book.
If anyone is interested, e-mail me OFF LIST and I will scan it in and
send
it to you...

ias