Prev: Re: Full Metal Asgard Next: Re: Full Metal Asgard

RE: Full Metal Asgard

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:11:01 +0100
Subject: RE: Full Metal Asgard

Roger Burton West wrote:

On the other hand, it's quite common for Jaffa to fight other Jaffa. And
when the guy you're shooting is in nearly-bulletproof armour and has
super-fast healing, maybe it is worth having that much power per shot...

True, but I have the impression that the Jaffa favour close combat style
actions when they engage each other, after all they lack any kind of
mobile
armour. In hand to hand fighting you can use the staff to beat your
oponant
to a pulp, or to get in a close range blast which will punch through the
armour regardless. Other than that there usual method of approach is
enmass
and on foot. A slow relentless surge with some, limited, air support.
These
tactics spark more of inducing terror in a weak foe and forcing their
capitualtion, or as a show of force to a rival system lord. If battle is
actually joined a system lord won't really care how many Jaffa fall as
long
as the mission succedes. If heavier forces are required they seem to
prefer
orbital bombardment. Which is sensible really, I suppose.

All in all, the Jaffa style of combat reminds me of the ritualised
warfare
of the meso-american tribes, in style if not actually in content. Until
SG
teams came along the Goa'uld and the Jaffa have had little reason to
evolve
their military tactics. The System Lords have enjoyed a standoff with
other
major races (eg: the Asgard, and the Reato), and a military/poltical
status
quo with each other, and thus have little need to evolve or develope
their
armed forces beyond an armed police force. Only with the arrival of SG
and
Annubis has the balance been upset...

Regards,

Matt Tope

PS: By the way, thanks Roger for the link you provided in regard to my
plea
for boarding pod rules, and thanks to Beth and Derek for producing it in
the
first place. I hope you don't mind but I have plundered your ideas
mercilessly for my own nefarious purposes.

Prev: Re: Full Metal Asgard Next: Re: Full Metal Asgard