Prev: [Full Metal Atkinson] Next: [FT] Gallery Moved

Re: FYI: A Suprisingly Good Sci-Fi Book

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:11:36 +0100
Subject: Re: FYI: A Suprisingly Good Sci-Fi Book

>>Finally anyone have any other books they want to suggest to the other
avid
>>readers on the list?
>
>These actually fit the thread title quite well, but I'm almost
>hesitant to mention them on this list at all....
>
>Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" novels.	There's...I think...six of
>them at this point.  Very well written military SF, for all that
>they are set in the Warhammer 40K universe.  The character are very
>normal, and very mortal, human beings -- not Space Marines, not
>supermen.
>
>Abnett is a very good author, and I've found myself making an effort
>to pick up *anything* from GW that he's written.
>
>(And for fantasy fans, anything by "Jack Yeovil" -- pseudonym of Kim
>Newman of _Anno Dracula_ fame -- is equally worth seeking out.)
>
>The books are good SGII inspiration, and frankly I'd have to
>consider Stargrunt to be a much better system than 40K for emulating
>them.

....and just to give a good mate a plug (even though he IS writing
for GW...), look out for "For The Emperor" by Sandy Mitchell, out
very soon now from  the Black Library. For those of you who don't
know him, Sandy Mitchell is actually Alex Stewart; FTE is the first
full-length novel using the characters he's already established for a
couple of 40K short stories he's had published - Commissar Caiaphas
Cain is basically a "Flashman" character, who gets a reputation as a
great hero when mostly he's just trying to save his own skin. Add in
a scruffy, smelly Baldrick-like assistant (Gunner Jurgen) and you
have what is actually a FUNNY 40K novel....!

Amazingly, the GW editors are actually allowing Alex to (gently) take
the p*ss out of the usual over-serious 40K gothickyness - it makes a
surprisingly good read!

Jon (GZG)