Prev: [FT] Islamic Fed Names Next: Re: Firing initiative.

Firing initiative.

From: FlakMagnet72 <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:19:55 -0400
Subject: Firing initiative.

I didn't like the "back and forth" of firing described in FT so my
fledgling
group has been playing that all fire is simultaneous.  This way each
player
fires all of their ships then the next player fires all their ships
including
ones that might have been damaged otherwise incapacitated that turn.

This past Friday while discussing "stuff" over a game of FT I came up
with the
following idea(s) for firing initiative in FT:

Firing Initiative:
Fire control systems will be available at different levels, probably
just
levels 0-3.  Lvl 0 FCs will be standard cost and mass.	Level 1s will be

double cost of a level 0, levels twos triple cost, etc while the mass
remains
the same.  Higher level FC systems represent better/faster computers
being
used to calculate firing solutions, NOT more accurate fire.  I'm not
prepared
to tinker with the probabilities of a hit.  *grin*  The mass remaining
the
same makes sense to me as the size of computers (at least nowadays)
doesn't
change that drastically as the computers get exponentially faster,
sometimes
getting smaller.

Each player rolls a die and keeps that number for his entire fleet (or a
die
could be rolled per ship to player's preference) as their initiative
score.
Each FC system's rating will be added to that roll in order to determine
the
order in which that FC system will be able to fire.  The highest
combined
score (Init roll + FC Level) fires first and proceeds in descending
order
until all firing is resolved.  If players opt to roll per-ship, the
which die
is used can be decided based on the size of the game.  Large games ought
use a die with more sides to allow greater variation and fewer duplicate

scores.

In the event of two ships having the same FC score then they must roll
dice to
determine which ship(s) fire first  out of the ships that tied.

Firing results is immediate so if you lose a system before you fire that
turn
then you miss out on using it at all.

Chances are, something like this has been suggested by someone else.  If
so,
I'd like to read (and possibly steal) their ideas, so please provide me
with
a link!  *grin*

--
--Tim
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72

Prev: [FT] Islamic Fed Names Next: Re: Firing initiative.