Prev: Re: Free CalTex...) Next: Fwd: X-Prize

[more OT?] NG and Reserves was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary...

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:58:17 -0500
Subject: [more OT?] NG and Reserves was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary...

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:45:39 -0500 Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
writes:
<snip>
>>It's been since late 1970's/early 1980's since I was associated with
>USAR
>>(After Active USAF) but NG tended then to be more combat and (what we
>>then called "Combat Support") and the USAR was more "Support"
>
>Interesting, and a bit weird, given the extra duties that the NG has
>taken
>up, including disaster relief that sounds more like "support".

The NG have that role in their 'state' responsibilities and many of them
are combat units in their 'Federal' responsibilities if they are still
the same as when I was associated with the "Reserves" (not NG) as a
member of a unit.

>Back when I was looking into service, before I was told I was unusable
>(childhood illness), I got the impression that the reserves were
>strictly
>for those who'd previously been in active service, and was in fact an
>extension thereof. The guard was open to both 'newbies', and those
>who'd
>previously served, who were VERY actively recruited.

Uh, no, we had guys and gals (76Yankee (supply)  next door and a
competent armorer too (I never had one so she helped our 'company') for
example graduate from High School, get their basic training (and rarely
tech training) then come back to "reserves" for three years (Ideally
either qualify that year via week-ends or get skill training next
summer.)   Most did not re-enlist as I recall...

>And with that, I apologize for extending this thread. Sometimes, even
>can't resist.

No biggie.

To bring this on topic how would one model that in SG 2 and DS 2?  Not
all NG/Reserve units were either uniformly well trained and skilled and
certainly they were not homogeneous in the skills of the unit members.

For example:  My 'company' had Drill Sergeants/"Corporals"
(non-corporals
being trained up as Drill Sergeants)  that included - a ranger qualified
combat experienced vet, a  two (?) terms of enlistment active service
guy
(jungle trained among other things,) with no "official"  'combat
experience,' ) a non-combat experienced post-active service Infantryman
who could perform flawlessly when out 'playing soldier', a 'C.I.B. with
star'  "...6 and a half of 8 years away from home was enough for me..."
older guy, plus the 'HQ staff' for the company (NCO's anyway) had a
disgustingly large set of ribbons that did included a few that were more
then 'put my time in and didn't get caught screwing up' ribbons.  Then
there were two young guys (one went to tech school before I left but the
other never had finished his correspondence courses when I left
either...) and a female Drill "Corporal" who showed a lot of promise in
the less then a year she was in the unit before I left.  Officers were
interesting... both of them... for radically different reasons.  And the
Battalion and Brigade staff were a... "varied'... lot.	Overall I really
don't know what we would have rated it as a unit in SG 2.

Then there was me, 7 years, 3 months, 12 days active USAF medic, one
year
as a 90Romeo (?) - reservist also in the ROTC program as college student
- then two years as a 76Yankee (supply) type (but only one year as a
fully trained and qualified - right - 76Yankee.)   Armorer?  I was one
on
paper (never trained) because we never could recruit one.

>The_Beast

Hx, SF, and Fx: 6 mm figures, Starships and 1:6K "Wet Navy" warships
are my main interest.

Gracias,
Glenn

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: Free CalTex...) Next: Fwd: X-Prize