Prev: Re: Opposed Dice method Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1743

Re: [SGII] Electronic Warfare

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:18:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [SGII] Electronic Warfare

Hi Ian,

I sympathize with your bit of confusion over the EW stuff in the SG
book.
We've had the same issue for years with them here.  Allan proposed a
couple
of fixes, as did Mark D (and good ideas there, Mark, though I think the
ranges are too short - the effects of EW should be longer ranged than
that,
I think, though the ideas are definately interesting!).

I use an even simpler method of resolving this.  An EW unit is given a
number of chits to use (1, 2 or 3), and at the beginning of each turn,
it
has access to all of the chits without requiring the expenditure of an
action.  The chits are used during the turn when needed, and when
they're
all used, the EW unit can't use them again until the beginning of the
next
turn.  This is *simple*, and leaves the player with the tactical
decisions
about when to use their EW without forcing them to activate their
command
squad earlier than they would like, to gain access to EW (or, for that
matter, to have a separate EW unit).

As to "game balance" issues regarding EW, well, that's a tough one.  As
with balancing any SG game, it really comes down to "what feels right"
and
experience with the system - since so many things count toward 'balance'
(morale, terrain, scenario design, leadership, weapons, squad sizes, etc
etc etc).  Once again, a simple way to approach this is to give each
player
the same access to EW - but in a campaign situation, perhaps each player
doesn't have very many of these units so they have to choose carefully
where the units are sent, etc.

Anyway, welcome to the list!

<plug> If you're looking for more resources, once you're finished poking
about in Allan's website (plenty of interesting things), take a peek at
http://www.stargrunt.ca.
</plug>

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: Opposed Dice method Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1743