Prev: RE: [OT] Fake-MS spam? Next: Re: Pass the DFFG...

RE: [OT] Fake-MS spam?

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:29:27 -0500
Subject: RE: [OT] Fake-MS spam?

On 20 Sep 2003 at 16:14, CS Renegade wrote:

> Will not stop psychological (hoax) viruses. Not that I'm
> saying the critter is a hoax. Am glad you slapped an [OT]
> label on this; GZG products not known to carry viruses.

This is _not_ a hoax virus. This is a virus that spreads itself
looking like it's a patch for a Microsoft problem. The payload
pretends to be a Windows fix, and it's wrapped around an e-mail that
looks like it could have come from Microsoft. It's not a hoax, it's
real (as my ISPs virus checker attests to, and as does my own when
the odd one that AT&T misses hits me).

It's off topic, but there is a certain on topic-ness to it. This
virus is apparently hitting Europe worse than North America, mostly
because it's an older virus (2 or 3 years old) that should have been
patched, and Europeans tend to not to be as likely to patch MS
products than North Americans. GZG being based in Europe has a large
contingent of European players.

Also, I suspect that I'm getting all these messages because someone
has filed away my e-mail address in their address book but doesn't
know that they are infected. Chances are this is someone who saw one
of my GZG posts here, or one of my house rules or the SG2 index up on
my web site. There's a pretty good chance that the person or persons
causing me and others grief is on this list. By that I don't mean the
creator of the virus, but the person or persons infected by the
virus.

--

Allan Goodall		     agoodall@hyperbear.com
http://www.hyperbear.com

Depression is just anger without enthusiasm.

Prev: RE: [OT] Fake-MS spam? Next: Re: Pass the DFFG...