Prev: Re: 15mm Freikorp bugs was Re: (SG) New 25mm Gallery Next: Re: 15mm Freikorp bugs was Re: (SG) New 25mm Gallery

Re: A black hole life preserver

From: Claus Paludan <cpaludan@w...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:47:31 +0200
Subject: Re: A black hole life preserver

LOL - Never new science could be so much fun!!!

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:33, Kevin Balentine wrote:
> The link for this story is:

http://www.dallasnews.com/health/columnists/tsiegfried/stories/091503dnl
ivtomco
> [...]
> to make you instantly thinner and taller.
>
> "It is like being stretched on a rack and simultaneously crushed in an
iron
> maiden," the two researchers write in a new paper submitted to the
journal
> Physical Review D.
>
> Such gravitational (or "tidal acceleration") forces don't hurt, up to
a point.
> Fighter pilots can withstand forces up to 9 G's or so  nine times the
normal
> pull of gravity.
>
> "But beyond 10 G's, the tidal acceleration will cause pain and
dismemberment,"
> the scientists write in their paper, available on the World Wide Web
at
> xxx.lanl.gov/abs/astro-ph/0308325.
>
> So at some point, your journey to the black hole's center will turn
into
> painful torture.
>
> (Actually, the torture can begin even before you reach the black
hole's outer
> boundary, the event horizon. For large black holes  greater than
13,800 times
> the mass of the sun  crossing the event horizon remains within the
acceptable
> range of G-forces. But small black holes have masses of only a few
suns. For
> those, you'll start stretching before you cross the border.)
>
> Anyway, the good news is that the time of torture passes pretty
quickly. In
> fact, from the start of the pain to getting crunched out of existence
> altogether comes to less than a 10th of a second, the scientists
calculate.

> But a life preserver	er, death delayer  can prolong your pain-free
travel
> time and make the torture time even shorter.
>
> It has to be big  about the size of one of Saturn's rings and the mass
of a
> large asteroid. But when diving into a black hole with this huge ring
> surrounding you, the pull of the ring on you will cancel the pull of
the black
> hole.
>
> As you fall closer to the black hole's center, its pull on you
increases. But
> the black hole tugs on the ring, too, compressing it so that more of
its mass
> is closer to you. So the ring's pull on you increases, counteracting
the black
> hole's efforts to crush you.
>
> "Your head is being pulled downward by that ring, and your feet are
being
> pulled upward, so it just counters the tidal force that the black hole
is
> giving," Dr. Gott said in a telephone interview.
>
> To keep the ring from collapsing under its own weight, it must be
electrically
> charged (electrical repulsion counters the ring's self-gravity).
Unfortunately,
> the electrical fields would fry you, so you need to encase yourself in
> protective container known as a Faraday cage. But that's pretty simple
compared
> to making the giant doughnut to begin with.
>
> If all works well till then, the ring can keep you comfortable up to
6,760 G's.
> After that you'd be tortured for a mere three one-thousandths of a
second.

> "You really wouldn't know what hit you," Dr. Gott and Ms. Freedman
write.

> If that still bothers you, you can reduce the torture time even more.
Instead
> of falling in feet first, assume the fetal position. Then align the
line
> connecting your shoulders so it points toward the black hole's center.
With a

--
With kind regards
Claus Paludan

Prev: Re: 15mm Freikorp bugs was Re: (SG) New 25mm Gallery Next: Re: 15mm Freikorp bugs was Re: (SG) New 25mm Gallery