Prev: cross posting was Re: CinC Next: Re: CinC

Re: Re: Cinematic vs. Vector movement

From: "Mike Hillsgrove" <mikeah@c...>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:06:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: Cinematic vs. Vector movement

The reason we went vector was to model reality as much as possible
(within
reason).  There is no good reason to limit turns at all.  Indeed, there
is
no reason you can't turn in the middle of the move and float sideways
forever.

The 1 TP cost per turn limits acceleration quite enough as it turns out.
Most larger ships have lower thrust values anyway.  As far as really
advanced races, the advanced weapons and the ability to apply thrust in
any
direction is a significant advantage in any case.  For Vorlons and
Shadows
we also apply a die modifier for shooting at them as well as making it
easier for them to hit. To a lesser extent we do the same thing for
Mimbari - races that were among the stars when mankind was in toga's.

SciFi is weird alien stuff, green eyed acid spitting drooling bug eyed
monsters that are inexplainable and incomprehensable. . Sci Fi is
science
applied to the possibilities of the future.  Sci Fi is 100% on the
Weirdometer.

Point systems may make for a balanced game, but poor science fiction.
Point
systems are for Ancients gamers in competitions for a prize.  I don't
even
use point systems when I do ancients, or any other wargaming for that
matter..  Winning and loseing matter less than a good game and great
SciFi.

Some day, when SciFi RPG's are politically correct again for 50 year
olds,
I'll use FT as the base for Space Opera, or whatever I use.  For now,
it'll
be my way to get may naval gaming fix every now and then.

Prev: cross posting was Re: CinC Next: Re: CinC