Prev: [FYI] New minis from DP9 Next: FTJava V0.11 Release

Re: Fwd: Re: Cinematic vs. Vector movement

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:33:10 +0200
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Cinematic vs. Vector movement

Doug wrote:

>  >Rotate ship, MD burn, Rotate ship, Fire Weapons
>  >rinse and repeat...
>
> >Unless of course you have seen Babylon 5, where the EarthForce
Starfuries
> >behave *exactly* like this...
>
>I've never seen them behave *exactly* like this. They approach
'normally',
>firing 'normally', then when close, in what SEEMED to be an unusual
move,
>make one firing 'like this'.

Look closer. I've spent the evenings these last two weeks viewing 4-6 B5

episodes a day, so I'm quite sure of it :-/

The reason you don't see the "turn, burn, turn, fire" sequence very
clearly
while the Furies are at long range is that the burns are towards the
target
they're intercepting and the turns therefore are small. Once they're at
their preferred combat range - ie., point blank - the turns are more
radical and therefore more visible.

This is exactly the same behaviour you get in FT's Vector movement:
while
you're at long range and wanting to close you don't have to turn much,
or
at all, between your main drive burn and firing your (F)-arc weapons. It
is
only when you've reached your preferred range and don't want to get any
closer, or when you're flying past your enemy, that you need to make
radical turns after the main drive burn.

>Natch, I never saw a ship larger than fighter, save for White Stars, do
>this even once, but I'm willing to allow that my memory is pretty
scratchy.

At least some Drazi ships do similar manoeuvres, and EarthForce heavies
seem to do so as well from time to time - though at a much slower rate,
making it harder to see.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: [FYI] New minis from DP9 Next: FTJava V0.11 Release