Prev: Re: OT Chupacabra! Next: Virus?

Re:(FT) UNSC/Movement systems

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:53:57 +0200
Subject: Re:(FT) UNSC/Movement systems

Matt Tope wrote:

>Is it best in practice to design vessels specifically for only
cinematic or
>only vector movement as appropiate?

Ships designed specifically for the movement system in use have a
significant advantage over ships designed for the other movement system.

The designs in both Fleet Books are designed for Cinematic, so with one
exception they'll fare rather poorly against Vector designs if you play
Vector... and that one exception (the NAC Furious) sucks pretty bad if
you
play Cinematic :-/ (It wasn't *intended* to be a typical Vector design,
but
that's what it turned out to be!)

>My approach has been to try and design vessels which can just be
dropped in
>either movement system as they stand.

This risks put you at a disadvantage no matter which movement system you

use :-/

>Finally, would it be true to say that vector movement favours the
Kra'Vak
>more than humans/Phalons and the reverse for cinematic?

Only if you use "humans/Phalons" to mean "the human and Phalon designs
published in the Fleet Books".

Vector movement favours the Kra'Vak against *Cinematic* (wide-arced,
Fleet
Book-style) human/Phalon designs, since the KV don't waste a lot of Mass
on
wide fire arcs neither side needs in Vector.

However, human/Phalon *Vector* designs outclass the KV pretty badly in
Vector, mainly since they get very nearly nearly the same
manoeuvrability
at a significantly lower cost for engines. (If you pit the same
human/Phalon Vector designs against Kra'Vak in Cinematic, the tables are
of
course turned completely!)

In Cinematic the fight is pretty even as long as the humans/Phalons use
Cinematic designs and the table is large enough to allow the Kra'Vak to
manoeuvre outside the humans'/Phalons' weapon envelopes. The
human/Phalon
player needs to keep in mind that tactics that work well against other
humans or Phalons don't necessarily work against Kra'Vak and vice versa,

though :-/

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com