Prev: Re: Fusion Cannon proposal Next: Re: FusionCannon/New Game Mechanics

Re: New Guy

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:18:57 +0100
Subject: Re: New Guy

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:46:26AM +0100, Matt Tope wrote:

>As for new ideas I've long been tickering with gravitic implosion style
>weaponry but have yet to come up with anything I'm satisfied with.

Have you checked out the Weapon-Defence Archive, compiled by Noam
Izenberg?

http://nift.firedrake.org/Weap-Def_Archive.htm

>Mass 15
>Cost 45/60?
>1 arc
>Range		Dice
>0-12mu 3d6
>12-24mu	2d6
>
>Standard FC rules. Fires in normal shooting phase, only targets 1
vessel.
>Roll d6 as per range and total. If the score is odd the shot misses. If
it
>is even it hits and causes damage equal to the score. Half damage on
armour
>in the usual way.
>
>Let the dissection begin...

Mean damage at 0-12: 5.25
Mean damage at 12-24: 3.5

same damage application mechanic as pulse torps, so I'll use them as
examples.

By comparison, 2 pulse torps with a single arc mass 8, cost 24, and do
similar mean damage at most ranges:

     range    0-6    -12  -18	 -24	-30
2pulsetorp  5.833  4.667  3.5  2.333  1.167
    fusion   5.25   5.25  3.5	 3.5

so I'd be inclined to go for mass 8 or 9 (a little more damage, a
little less range, more vulnerable to thresholds but easier to repair
than the doubled PT) and a cost of 3xMASS as usual.

Separately from this: you're introducing a new dice mechanic, which
makes the game more complex. This is OK if the weapon's really
interesting in some other way, but I suggest it's something of which you
should be very wary.

Roger

Prev: Re: Fusion Cannon proposal Next: Re: FusionCannon/New Game Mechanics