Prev: SEC: Unclassified unsubscribe gzg-l Next: 15mm Figures

[OT] Naked Molerats (potential alien material) was RE: Status of the 15mm Hammer's Slammer's Figs...

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:07:21 +1000
Subject: [OT] Naked Molerats (potential alien material) was RE: Status of the 15mm Hammer's Slammer's Figs...

G'day,

> I can't remember all the details, but I seem
> to recall reading/watching that they have an
> amazing level of socialization and
> cooperation among members of the same colony.  Indeed,
> more like termites or ants than other burrowing rodents.

Yep they are eusocial like those hive insects, with anywhere between 50
and a few hundred in the community - workers, non-workers (of many
castes, one lot even seem to be guards) and a single reproductive
"Queen". They have a central communal nest and then a whole heap of
other chambers and tunnels that are used as nurseries, larders, sleeping
chambers, warm rooms and food gathering sites. They don't need access to
water (luckily given they're most common in Somalia and Ethiopia) - they
get all the moisture they need in their food. One of the coolest things
is they work in teams, like a bucket brigade but with soil.

As for their teeth, their big incisors are for digging and sit outside
their lips to avoid getting grit in their mouth, really quite ingenious.

Their unusual appearance in combination with their social lives is why
I've always thought they'd make for a great alien species basis ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: SEC: Unclassified unsubscribe gzg-l Next: 15mm Figures