Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover 2003 - SSDs are Available Next: FT-sheilds

Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:33:23 +1000
Subject: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@teleport.com>

> His original tripods that could be stymied by what we now consider
laughably
> sluggish ironclad rivercraft and stopped in token numbers wouldn't
fare too
> well against modern guided missiles.

In the game we had in about 1979 ( written up in Alarums and Excursions
), the
Martian Landing happened in Europe in early 1944.

88s could penetrate their armour - just - but the main problem that the
Tripods
had was when they wandered into an anti-tank minefield. Tripod -> Bipod,
falls
over and sets off another three or four mines.

The Martian technology was at about the year 2000 level, (laser
rangefinders etc)
so in some ways I guess we prequeled Turtledove's "In the Balance"
series.

Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover 2003 - SSDs are Available Next: FT-sheilds