Prev: RE: Small Colonies Next: RE: Small Colonies

RE: Small Colonies

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:16:03 +0100
Subject: RE: Small Colonies

Fair enough.

> Population has been increased by lab-workings and
> good deals for ScanFed settlers.

Lab-workings? Please clarify.

ScanFed settlers? Makes good sense, but what's the
astropolitical [1] status [2] of the colony? Is it:

 a) A ScanFed enclave on an NFR world?
 b) A sovereign independant state?
 c) An autonomous element of the NFR?

Option (c) could be along the lines of an open-ended
lease; the settlers have perpetual title over their
peninsula in return for defending it (and possibly
other areas) against the enemies of the NFR.

> I'm also dreaming of having the colony a fairly
> high tech one <snip details>

All of which costs plenty of credits.

> Size of the colony would be somewhere between
> 300x300 and 500x500 km, Population ca 55000.

Too small! If Compville is near terran standard,
give them a "just like home" peninsula the size of
modern-day Scandinavia. (These people liberated the
locals from the evil bureaucrats of Brussels [3],
remember?) If Compville is less hospitable then
think about handing out a small continent, though
the settlement would initially be in just one area.

I would agree with Laserlight on the number of
people; initially you will have VERY low population
densities away from the enclave's capital.

> What could make that small colony be a viable
> economical base to support a medium tech mechanized
> force <snip shopping list>? Only a Battalion will
> at any time be off planet and drawing in some cash.

Initially the mercenary business has to continue.
It's already established and is necessary in order
to keep equipment and experience up-to-date.
Recruits are keen to join a successful unit, and when
they've had enough soldiering they retire to swell
your colony. (Old Earth may have some prejudices
against returning mercenaries.)

If the original unit was armed with ScanFed
equipment, you need to maintain good relations with
the minor power in order to keep up the supply of
ammunition and replacement parts.

> A (very) mineral-rich mountain range?

If it's too rich, a major power will want it anyway.
As an alternative / addition to the above, the entire
colony may be an NAC-sponsored continuation of the
original plot to take the planet out of the FSE. They
don't want the NFR to get too independant, after all.
This is a nice way to introduce a balancing force.

> Fossilised fuels?

Would have much lower importance in the 22nd century.
A colony might use a fossil fuel if it's locally
available and easily extracted, and can initially
take a more relaxed view on polution, but a growing
colony with industrial aspirations is going to want
large amounts of very cheap power and I don't think
coal or oil will do the job.

It's possible to refine alcohol-based fuels from
agricultural products. Low-tech colonies lacking
fossil deposits may do this, but will oil retain its
importance in the manufacture of plastics? [4]

> Colony controlled asteroid/moon mining?

Your core population are SF nationals from a
military background or direct from Earth. If you
push ahead with space-based facilities you could
have to recruit a far more mixed workforce from
the region's rock miners and orbital construction
workers. You end up with two distinct communities,
possibly drifting apart. You aleady have the
beginnings of a navy; guess where the most able
recruits are going to come from?

> Exporting high quality products made from rich
> mineral finds?

This makes more money than selling on the raw ore,
but it takes time and money to build factories, train
up a local workforce and establish markets.

Manufacturing your own equipment will not be a short-
term project unless you get an off-the-peg solution
from the NAC. What nationality do your figures depict?

Nathan

[1] Was struggling with "geopolitical" until I
    remembered Nyrath. New list members see
    http://www.projectrho.com/ft/ftmap2.html

[2] If "possession is nine tenths of the law" then
    possesion by mercenaries with modern weapons may
    well be ninety-nine hundredths.

[3] Anyone know if Strasbourg is rubble after 2101?
    It's in a very unfortunate location regarding
    the breakup of the old EC.

[4] Yes, hydrocarbons can be shunted around into all
    sorts of forms, but is it cheaper just to start
    with a good old-fashioned barrel of crude?

Prev: RE: Small Colonies Next: RE: Small Colonies