Prev: Re: What's wrong with SF? Next: Re: Small Colonies

Small Colonies

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:40:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Small Colonies

Hello folks!

A lurker speaks up again!

I'm dreaming up some fluff for my mercs, and I have
some questions that I think some of you can help me
with.

This far I'm thinking of my guys (and gals) as the
decendants of the ScanFed mercs who overran Compville,
and as part of the payment they were given an as yet
(at that time) not very explored small peninsula
somewhere on that planets landmass to claim as their
own. Population has been increased by lab-workings and
good deals for ScanFed settlers.
I'm also dreaming of having the colony a fairly high
tech one, with agricultural chores in the valleys
being handled by robotic worker vehicles, controlled
from family farms, and a pretty big concentration of
mainly robotic factories in the one city. A mag-lev
train crossing the colony from end to end, bringing
everything to a transport hub near the city, with
immideate access to the fairly small but well
functioning spaceport.
Size of the colony would be somewhere between 300x300
and 500x500 km, Population ca 55000.

What could make that small colony be a viable
economical base to support a medium tech mechanized
force (Hover Vehicles, liquid propellant rifles, HKPs
and Missiles no grav, no PA) of a brigades size in
total? Plus a fairly outdated fleet of 2 destroyers, 4
frigates and a battalions worth of transports? Only a
Battalion will at any time be off planet and drawing
in some cash. A (very) mineral-rich mountain range?
Fossilised fuels? Colony controlled asteroid/moon
mining? Exporting high quality products made from the
rich mineral finds?

Any help and ideas would be appreciated!

/Johan the Swedish Leadhead

/REMARK/ Unrelated note: I started this force in 28mm.
Then I discovered the beauty that is Brigades 15mm
Vehicles. Dang. Now I can have the same vehicles in
15mm and 6mm. My 100+ of GZG 6mm vehicles is now
delegated to being my lend-to-others-as-enemies force.
I hate it when it happends. I'm poor, dangit... /END/

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: What's wrong with SF? Next: Re: Small Colonies