Prev: RE: (DS) DLD 6mm vehicles? Maybe...(OT) Next: Re: (DS) DLD 6mm vehicles? Maybe...(OT)

Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:27:10 -0700
Subject: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

>>What I came up was to give the command squad 3 actions (yes 3!). One
of
>>those action is a free transfer of action. The other 2 action are
normal
>>action (except that the command squad can't do more than 2 transfer of
>>action total). This allowed the command squad to follow the rest of
the
>>troop. It made it as far as the center of the table (even a bit more).
We
>>didn't feel it was too powerful. In fact, the command squad didn't do
2
>>transfer of action each turn. On about 50% of the time, it was moving
+
>>firing and doing it's free transfer.
>>
>>It gaves a nice flow to the games since all attacker where moving and
the
>>command squad play a role by itself, not just transfering action. I
tend to
>>made my command squad a normal size unit by itself so this look more
>>realistic than seing 6-7 fig in a corner.
>
>I've played giving 3 "command" actions to a platoon, using the officer
+
>his command squad with 2 actions, and the platoon sergeant with a
separate
>"command capable" action.  In other words, the platoon sergeant is
located
>somewhere in the platoon OTHER than the command squad, and he can
transfer
>one of his regular actions.  The platoon sergeant, and his squad if
he's
>with one, have two actions as per normal, but he can transfer one of
them.
>The officer has two actions as normal, and can transfer both if he
chooses.
> This way, you don't have one squad getting 3 actions, but you can
still
>have 3 actions transferred if you want OR you have two transfer actions
and
>two squads that can still move.
>
>Where this was really effective was in a game where I had a mechanized
>platoon, including 4 dismount infantry squads, 4 apc's, and a tank in
>support.  We said that the platoon sergeant was commanding the apc's
and
>the tank, but the whole force was organized as a single platoon.  So,
the
>officer disembarked with the dismount infantry to run the battle, and
he
>could transfer his actions to everybody.  The platoon sergeant (I think
>put him in one of the apc's) could transfer ONE of his two actions, but
>only within the vehicles - he couldn't transfer an action to the
infantry
>dismounts.  It worked really well.
>
>To combat the 6-8 model command squad in the corner problem, I cut down
the
>command squad in many of my units to only 4 figures, and include a
separate
>medic team (2 troops) who are "administratively" part of the command
squad
>(out of game) but on the table are run as a separate unit with their
own
>actions.  Of course, this does nothing to stop the commander being in
the
>corner, it just prevents having 6 or 8 guys sitting in the corner with
> [...]

I like the idea to split the ability to transfer action over 2
differents
squads. The only problem I saw is that you still allow 2 transfer from
the
command squad, so it's still tempting to just do transfer of action with
it. In my version the command squad has 3 actions but a limit of 2
transfer, so it has to do something with the remaining action (move,
fire,
etc) (and one of the 3 Must be a transfer). Maybe I could try your idea
but
limit each squad to 1 transfer of action each. Also, did you allow the
command squad to transfer action to the platoon sergeant squad ?

I know your idea of having a smaller command squad. However, my thinking
is
if this squad just sit in a corner because it's more effective to do
that,
then it's probably not needed to have the mini on the table at all! On a
big table, it's even more noticeable. I think that encouraging the use
of
the command squad offensively by giving some bonus (either your
suggestion
or mine) is a good way to stop it being in the corner. Let's face it, if
the command squad has 1 remaining action that can't be a transfer, would
it
waste it doing nothing? I think not!

Yves

Prev: RE: (DS) DLD 6mm vehicles? Maybe...(OT) Next: Re: (DS) DLD 6mm vehicles? Maybe...(OT)