Prev: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!?

Re: FSE

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:46:06 +0200
Subject: Re: FSE

Warhound wrote:

>Yeah the similarieties are in concepts .. there are weapons batteries,
Nova
>Cannons and other such things such as the due to scale the ship is a
>representation and the centre of the base is really the ship ... there
are
>other things as I read through FT that I thought I have read this
before
>somewhere 8)

Weapon batteries are used in several fleet action/capital ship space
combat
games, not just Full Thrust and BFG - it is simply easier to bunch the
weapons together instead of resolving each one separately. Fighter games

tend to deal with individual weapons instead.

Same with measuring from the centre of the base due to scale; unless the

game is played on a hex-map (so you can determine the range by counting
hexes) this is the only way to avoid having either ridiculously short
weapon ranges or extremely large ships, or both. (FWIW GW's "Epic"
series
of games, from which BFG borrowed its order dice and weapon battery
mechanics, recommended that you measure ranges to and from Titans from
the
centre of the model :-/ )

As for the "Nova Cannon", BFG's weapon of that name is more similar to
the
"Inferno Cannon" from GW's old "Space Fleet" game than it is to Full
Thrust's Nova Cannon... and the Inferno Cannon was published in the
August
1991 issue (#140) of White Dwarf. If GW borrowed it from Full Thrust,
then
they must've done so within a few days of the *first* edition of FT
being
released - the current (second) edition of FT wasn't published until
1992.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!?