Prev: Alien Communication was Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!?

Re: Miniature bases

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:32:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Miniature bases

>> I've forgotten, is the base wood and flat? I should think 3M's spray
>> artist's adhesive would do the trick. Nice tack, allows reposition,
doesn't
>> soak through, quite solid after it's fully dry.
>
>	No, I'm using Games Workshop plastic flying bases.
>	They have a transparent lens-like base.  I'm applying
>	the glue to the face of the printed disk, and sticking
>	it on the bottom of the lens, so it shows through
>	the transparent lens.

How about spraying the printed disk with artists permanent spray
fixative
after the ink has dried (I'd leave it quite a while to be sure), and
*then*
applying the disk to the bottom of the plastic base using watered-down
white glue?

You can also get some very thin plastic film with adhesive on one side
that
is used to "laminate" paper, but without the heat effects of a "real"
laminating machine.  You could print a whole sheet of round disks, use a
sheet of the adhesive film to "laminate" them, cut them out, and stick
*that* to the bottom of the GW base with white glue.

White glue dries transparent, and if you were careful to avoid getting
it
on the edges of the disk, it shouldn't seep in under the laminate - and
*that* would provide a barrier so the ink won't run.  More work, but
faster
than painting the bases one at a time.

Another option would be to create a template (using airbrush frisket,
maybe
thin cardstock) with the markings you want on it and use that as a paint
template and spray yellow or white onto the base.   You could draw a
circle
on a piece of card to the diameter of the base;  then cut in with a very
sharp hobby knife the markings you want;  then tape the base over the
circle;  then turn it over, and spray with white or yellow.  When dry,
remove from template and presto!

Well, maybe.

:)

Adrian Johnson