Prev: Re: [OT] I.E. Miniatures Next: Re: [SG] 15mm Pics

Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!?

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:00:44 PDT
Subject: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!?

Not to get OT but you wonder if in the Tuffley-verse, while the Kra'vak
and other BEMs are causing chaos in the 'colonies,' what is happening on
"Old Earthe"...

This sad but very Human current event has seeds of scenarios for on and
off planet, Home World, Inner Colonies, outer colonies.

Does anyone have a developed Polynesians/Micronesians/Melanesians in
Space group worked out?

Gracias,
Glenn
.
6 mm miniatures rule!  Well, anyway in my mind they do!
.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2999250.stm

Fiji set for constitutional showdown

			  By Phil Mercer
			  BBC correspondent in Sydney

		 Fiji's Supreme Court is due to sit later on Wednesday
decide
		 on the legality of the nationalist government of
Laisenia
		 Qarase.

		 Mr Qarase's government took
		 office almost two years ago in an
		 election that restored democracy
		 following an armed coup in May
		 2000.

		 The court will rule if Mr Qarase
		 should, as Fiji's constitution
		 insists he must, include members
		 of the Indian-dominated
		 opposition Labour Party in his
		 cabinet.

		 The prime minister has resisted calls to give his
rivals
position in
		 government, claiming it would be unworkable.

		 Snap elections?

		 But the constitution says he must, as a way of
promoting
		 multi-racial government and harmony.

		 The document states that the
		 larger opposition parties must
		 have representation in cabinet in
		 proportion to how well they do at
		 the polls.

		 Therefore, the Labour Party, led
		 by Mahendra Chaudhry, is
		 entitled to almost 40% of seats
		 at the top table of government.

		 Mr Qarase has insisted he would
		 not be able to work with the
		 opposition because its policies are so different that
any
		 partnership would end up in deadlock.

		 Mr Qarase would probably call a snap election if the
Supreme
		 Court decision goes against him.

		 Coup wounds

		 He has made it clear his long-term aim is to dismantle
the
		 multi-racial constitution in favour of measures giving
indigenous
		 Fijians complete political control.

		 It is more than three years since
		 Mahendra Chaudhry was
		 deposed by nationalist gunmen
		 led by George Speight, who was
		 later jailed for life for treason.

		 Mr Chaudhry was Fiji's first ethnic
		 Indian prime minister.

		 The coup caused chaos and
		 deeply divided the country along
		 racial lines, inflicting long-lasting
		 wounds that have still not healed.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: [OT] I.E. Miniatures Next: Re: [SG] 15mm Pics