Prev: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin Next: Re: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin

Re: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin

From: Tony Francis <tony@b...>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:31:59 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin

devans@nebraska.edu wrote:

>FWIW, I sent the address on the site a few questions; nice, quick
replies.
>For one thing, 1:10000 isn't entirely clear as to how big anything
>particularly is unless you're using the same source book, so, in answer
>my query:
>
>'The length of the 2 ships is just a hair over 2-3/4" long.' That would
be
>the currently available Dreadnought and Heavy Crusier.
>
>We didn't discuss issues such as 'licensing'.
>
>Has anyone seen those designs before? I don't recognize them.

They come from sources outside the films - I've seen them before in some

of the graphics novels and in the computer game series (TIE Fighter,
X-Wing et al). Where they first appeared and who originated the designs
I don't know. The Dreadnought was the constituent ship in the Katana
fleet (http://mobz.org/starwars/show,Katana%20Fleet,%20The) which
featured in a series of at least three novels. The Heavy Cruiser _might_

be a Republic derivative of the dreadnought, although I'm not sure of
this (hence the similar lines and identical size).

All are nicely detailed in this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0613142772/qid=1054647030/sr=1-
1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-8136680-6622846
which includes three-views of some ships and enough information for the
scratchbuilder for all of them.

The Star Destroyer could be a bit pricey - at 1:10000 scale it will be
around 8" long !

Tony