Prev: Dirtside II Next: Re: Dirtside II

Re: [Power Projection] Review

From: Dominic Mooney <dom@c...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:02:06 +0100
Subject: Re: [Power Projection] Review

Depends on the ship.

An unarmoured, neutral agility vessel hit on the second turn of missile
movement by 430 missiles would take:

= 43 x (69/6) = 495 Structure boxes on average (based on the massed
fire table, this is a slight under estimate as it ignores some minor
rolls).

If the ship was armoured like a Tigress, and did not apply sand or
lasers in defense, this would be
reduced to;

= 43 x (10/6) = 72 structure boxes.

(If sand or lasers were used in mass, this would be somewhat more
reduced but not enormously).

For reference, a Tigress has 510 structure boxes, and a catastrophic
damage check would be triggered with the loss of 256 boxes from start.
So a 50% flicker would have ~250 structure boxes crossed off (close on
a catastrophic and certainly a 6 threshold, possibly a 4,5,6 threshold
if two lines are gone), plus ~215,000 EP into the BG generator. That's
enough to overload and kill the generator!!!

Of course, the Tigress doesn't have a BG in canon designs...

Cheers,

Dom

wrote:

>> On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 09:16 Europe/London, Roger Burton West
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless you have a ship that's specifically built to handle it, with
>>> lots
>>> of capacitors and energy-hungry weapons. (If you ever played
>>> Andromedans in SFB, the tactics are very similar.) I don't believe
>>> any
>>> of the ships in _Fighting Ships_ is built this way, though.
>>
>> Bear in mind that a Tigress can land 430 (USP 9 nuke missile
>> batteries)
>> x 900 EP of energy in a single round! ~429,570 EP! In HG2 terms...
>>
>> ouch!
>>
>> This is more than 10x the energy a Tigress can dissipate from its
>> capacitors per turn...
>>
>> 0.5% x M x J = 0.5% of 500000 x 4 = 2000000 x0.5% = 10000 dT
>> capacitors
>>
>> EP stored = 36 x 10,000 = 360,000 EP
>>
>> 1 extra dT capacitor = umm MCr - I can't see it offhand. Assume 4MCr
>> if
>> the same as J Drive cost per dT... will ask CT-starships for cost
>> confirmation...
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dom
>>
>> ---------dom@cybergoths.u-net.com----------
>> "But everything is still the same, passing the time,
>> passing the blame. We carry on in the same old way,
>> we'll find out we left it too late one day, to say what we
>> meant to say." The Last Straw / Marillion

-----------Dom Mooney-------dom@cybergoths.u-net.com----------
"We tell the tales of heroes to remind ourselves that we too
can be great" - John Wick, 7th Sea
http://www.cybergoths.u-net.com   http://www.bits.org.uk/

Prev: Dirtside II Next: Re: Dirtside II