Prev: Re: FT: Ship Names Next: [FT] Campaign Rules and Re: FT: Ship Names

Re: FT: Ship Names

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:55:30 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: Ship Names

Robin Fitton wrote:

> I am so full of subjects today.....

:-)

> When I finish painting I name my ships and stick a little printed
strip of
> paper on the base, there is  no official naming ceremony but I like to
think
> that I can identify the craft and will remember its victories and
defeats by
> name. I also then use Illustrator to print a copy of the FT ship build
> details and print / laminate the result.
>
> My names mostly come from books by Iain Banks (Culture Works) , Ian
Hamilton
> (Nightsdawn) and Stephen Donaldson (Gap Series).  These include such
great
> names as; Tranquil Hegemony, The Ends of Invention, Gut Buster, Lux
> Interior, Calm Horizons and No More Mr Nice Guy.
>
> Do any other list members use interesting names for ships - Would you
like
> to share them? I think it adds a bit of creative fun to a game, having
more
> than just a number on the base.

It does, but it also restricts your minis if you want to expand
and play other scenarios that wouldn't necessarily involve those
specifically named ships but would involve those minis.

Some of my ships have names painted right on them. Before I
really got into keeping lists of names for ships. My early NSL
BDNs and SDNs have names from mountains (Pingora, Rainier, Denali,
Eiger, etc). My NAC carriers have their names (and ID #s) painted
right on the launching "runway" (Intrepid, Enterprise, Invincible,
etc). It was only after this I realized I wanted to use the same
minis (as I don't have unlimited numbers of them ;-) in other
scenarios which the names were either not appropriate or did not
appear (ie, such as in a campaign game, the NSL ship "Eiger" might
be in one sector of space, but the scenario being played out is in
another sector and the only mini I have is the one with "Eiger"
painted on it).

In the end I put together a file of names for various classes.
Some of them I use for the FB1 ships, others for home-grown
designs. These you can find on my fleet rosters off my FT webpage
(http://www.bcpl.net/~indy/full-thrust/full-thrust.html) (and
yes, Oerjan, I still have those corrections you sent me from so
long ago! I will get to them...one...day...soon...<wheeze>).

I like the Culture names, too, but I usually don't use them
for my FB ships (well, they work really well for Sa'Vasku ;-).
On the other hand, totally not related to FT, I have used a
few of those names when naming some climbing routes I've done
first ascents on (Ethics Gradient, Kiss The Blade, Fate Amenable
To Change :-).

Mk

Prev: Re: FT: Ship Names Next: [FT] Campaign Rules and Re: FT: Ship Names