Prev: Re: John Atkinson and Turkeys.... Next: [DS] Rallying

Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:31:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

<nick.wesson@ca.inter.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I know in the rules they recommend 1 inch wide
>>bases, and there are occasions where that inch can be important, but
I'm
>>not particularly eager to stick such small figures on such a large
base
>>- it seems out of proportion to me.
>
>I wouldn't recommend 1" wide bases, as it will make it hard to squeeze
the
>figures in close enough when you need to get a couple of squads in
tight
>together.
>
>A 3/4" washer is better.

Does someone have tried to use 3/4" base with 28-30mm figures? If so,
does
it look silly?

Allan, your idea of using magnetic sheet with counter is the same I had.
already have 4 feets square of magnetic sheet. For DS2, I put small bits
of
metal on the bottom of all my DS2 plastic vehicule. I put a magnetic
sheet
in a video casette case and all my army now fit in 3 cases. I can even
turn
the case upside down and they stick (well, not always!).

All my 28-30mm figs are on 1" GW round base. I have glued 7/8" washer
inside the base. I had to grind the washer to remove the edge on the
top.

The worst part is the round slotta based type : I actually cut the
washer
in 2 pieces (1 small, 1 bigger) and grind them a bit when they are too
big.
Lots of work
and I have lots of fig to do. At least, I have a 3 feet long cutter to
cut
the washer. In any case, it definitively made the figure a lot more
stable.
platic fig get the most benefit: You can incline them more than 45
degree
and they come back on their feet when you release them (like the
inflatable
boxing clown kids have)

I play a bit yesterday with small pieces of magnetic strip. I found that
it
work but the smaller magnetic pieces should not be too small or else, it
don't stick too much. The reason I tried small part is that it could be
useful to represent other stuff as well, like ammo counter for smoke
grenade, artillery request, etc. That stuff need to be quite small if
you
want to have more than 3-4 on the magnetic "tray" under the fig. In
fact,
you can just have other figs carrying other counter when needed.

I would like if you can send me your file with the number/confidence
that
you use to for gluing on your magnetic sheet (off-list). That will help
me
to quick start.

Now, I should try not to think rebasing my stuff on 3/4" washer...

Yves

>The main reason I'm basing the rest of the figures on washers is that I
have
>come up with a way of getting rid of the SG2 quality/leadership and
confidence
>markers. I printed up sheets of 1s, 2s, 3s, and each of the two letter
>confidence settings on coloured paper. I used spray adhesive to glue
them
onto