Prev: [LST] Grammar/Spelling Re: Figure Casting Question Next: Re: Figure Casting Question

Re: Figure Casting Question

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:45:58 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Figure Casting Question

On 19-Apr-03 at 07:31, devans@nebraska.edu (devans@nebraska.edu) wrote:

> Well, I've seen some of the Hirst stuff up close, thought it wasn't
worth
> the effort as it was all tile-by-tile or brick-by-brick, but those
> corridors may make a believer out of me.  Something about
block-by-block
> keeps it from being to fiddly for my tastes. ;->=

It's actually quite fun, and kind of becomes an addiction.  Once you
have
one mold and build a couple of simple buildings, you start thinking
about
what you could make if you just had this one other mold, and it
continues
until you've spent far more on molds than you ever would have on buying
pieces of terrain.  But you feel justified because its still do it
yourself.

> I'm wondering, though, if you couldn't get by for most of the pieces
with
> various shapes of wooden molding and a miter box.
>
> Natch, I've been impressed by your work before. I'm noticing we've not
seen
> an update on the grav tank in almost a year. Simply tired of it and
shoved
> into a corner? Story too painful to discuss? Just never got around to
newer
> piccies?

Yeah, the hover tank.
(http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~rwwolfme/projects/tank/index.html)

I still plan on finishing it.  It's cut up in about a dozen pieces
because
I decided I would try casting it.  It's been a trial and error kind of
thing.	I've got good molds for the top and bottom of the main hull and
the engine ports, a semi-good mold for the turret and have had a hell of
time getting the main gun and the mini-turret to work out (two part
molds
are harder to pull off than I thought).  I've already gone through one
sampler of RTV from smooth-on, and the stuff starts getting expensive
after that.

I haven't really done much work on it since January, mostly because of
school work, and a trip to Ireland, buying and casting Hirst molds, etc.
I should take some picture of the current work so far and put them on my
website.  Maybe people will have some suggestions as to how I can finish
it up.	I know my wife would be happy if I actually finished one of the
many projects I'm currently working on.

> I'd purely like to know if'n it's seen table top time! (Yes, some of
us
> Nebraskans actually talk like this, though you get a lot more of it in
MO.
> ;->= )
>
> The_Beast

That all depends on whether you live in Missouri, or Missoura.

Randy Wolfmeyer
Dept. of Physics
Washington University