Prev: [OFFICIAL] April Fool Madness Offers! Next: Re: [SG2] Not OT at all! CNN "Urban Combat" Graphics

Linking scenarios and Portsmouth

From: Tim Bancroft <tim@d...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:21:44 +0100
Subject: Linking scenarios and Portsmouth

> Tomb : PS - Sounds like I'd prefer Southampton to Portsmouth (no one
shooting at me,
> beer and friendly women).

Having grew up in Portsmouth, lived and hungs around some of the seedier

areas (not somethign I want to boast about) and worked in the Naval Base

(opposite that marvellous 250-year-old Home Fleet flagship "HMS
Victory") I
can confirm it went downhill as the fleet went downhill.

"Ladies of a certain Reputation" (as my mother used to call them) used
travel down on the train from London when a major ship
(battleship/carrier)
or squadron came in to the harbour station, and queue up outside the
main
gate to attract custom.  Alternatively, the matloes had a chance to
visit
any of the 10-12 bars in a row on the harbour front leading, only 20
yards
across the road from the gates, as well as a large number of very, ummm,

"friendly" houses in the backstreets nearby (now cleared up).  The Naval

Provost was a very regular sight....

Why is this not off-topic?  Whilst I'm not suggest Umm Qasr (?) will
turn
into something similar it's just a reminder (perhaps *very* useful for
scenarios around spaceports) that the old Traveller
grime_and_lowlife_around_starport is still likely to hold true in the
GZG-verse.

New Southampton or New Portsmouth anyone?  ;-)

Tim Bancroft

PS btw, Southampton isn't actually that much better than Portsmouth....
at
least Portsmouth has _shedloads_ of military history.

Prev: [OFFICIAL] April Fool Madness Offers! Next: Re: [SG2] Not OT at all! CNN "Urban Combat" Graphics