Prev: RE: [OT] Question from the news Next: Re: [OT] Question from the news

Re: [OT] Question from the news

From: "Germ" <germ@g...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:25:21 -0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Question from the news

> On TomB's "50mm machine gun" thing - Dog, there's some technically
> illiterate reporters out there! I read one report of "F-17" fighters
being
> used over Iraq. F-what? Likewise, the Brit Warrior APC is *always*
> referred to as a tank. Ditto the Bradley, and that big thing the USMC
is
> hauling around in.
> Newpaper rule of war: If it's got camo paint and treads, it's a tank.
Full
> stop. (even if it's just an M-113 w/ .50 on top...)
> Brian.

Regardless of my views on the war, this is one thing that is bugging me.
I have never been in the armed forces nor do I have qualifications in
military
tactics. But through reading military history and through various
discussions on this
list (amongst others) I wince every time the Sky news military analysts
or
any other
news channel for that matter starts spouting on about intended military
tactics, fighting
capabilities of various units/enemy etc.

They don't know what they are talking about. How do you get to be a
military
analyst anyway?
I bet you don't have to serve in the forces first.

Jeremey
germ@germy.co.uk
www.germy.co.uk

Prev: RE: [OT] Question from the news Next: Re: [OT] Question from the news