Prev: RE: Current Events Next: [OT] Dune RE: Current Events

RE: Current Events

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:57:05 -0500
Subject: RE: Current Events

> G'day,
>
> Noam help me out here but assuming I haven't mangled things too badly
> doesn't it also mean "gift from the sands"?
>
> Cheers
>
> Beth

Sounds about right. In Hebrew, Shai is one of the words for gift (and
not an uncommon name in Israel) and Chol is sand. I believe Herbert
took allot of his Dune terminology from either Arabic or Hebrew
(possibly both), and the two are related enough to have a good number
of similar words. I'm not sure whether there's a more direct
translation for Arabic.

Zebra Grail Phenomena	  (Noam Raphael Izenberg)

Prev: RE: Current Events Next: [OT] Dune RE: Current Events