Prev: Re: Happier Times Next: OT - Firewalls. Re: Current Events

Re: Current Events

From: glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:33:01 PST
Subject: Re: Current Events

Firewalls are strange things.  We had one between unclassified and
classified systems but after a really stupid transfer of data "the wrong
way" they just broke the  link so now everything has to be duplicated on
the second system that is posted for 'all employees' on the first system
because while most have both e-mail addresses some have one OR the
other... which means most of us read the inane items twice.

And when the unclassified system was linked up it too had a firewall (at
least we were told...) but an individual (with my agreement) sent me a
poem that coincidentally had a bunch of 'words' in it that I assume
would
have twigged 'somebody' to ask questions.  Zip response.  It was a good
poem by the way.

Never got the chance to send it to the classified side since about that
time they broke the linkage (which was about two incidents too late
IMO.)
  It was only justice that several stupid people 'donated' their hard
drives to the government...

My wife (who works in a medical related unclassified environment) has a
firewall that is really evil (mostly because what passes on one day will
be rejected on a different day.... go figure.)

Firewalls, like most electronic related  things; when they work they
work
well, but when they don't... nobody seems to know why...

Gracias,
Glenn

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:48:13 -0600 devans@nebraska.edu writes:

>Sorry, all, but my employer has finally gone properly gung ho on the
>security recently, and most things are just going behind firewalls.
>
>Needless to say, it's a bit shaky here.
>
>The_Beast

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: Re: Happier Times Next: OT - Firewalls. Re: Current Events