Prev: Re: [OT] to cheer everyone up..... Next: Re: [OT] to cheer everyone up.....

[SG] Special Ops + Indigenous forces

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:20:21 -0500
Subject: [SG] Special Ops + Indigenous forces

Note: I apologize to anyone who might be a
little bit sensitive to this particular post - it
draws a bit from current news. Hopefully not in
a way that is unpalatable.

Onward....

I was thinking about SF + Indigenous forces
(read: irregulars or militia) versus a middle of
the road army. On the one hand, the middle of
the road army will have a mix of regular and
green units with some decent equipment,
maybe some support elements like armour or
arty, and they might even have a veteran unit
or two as stiffeners.

The indigenous forces may well have a mix of
forces from green to veteran (the mix
depending on how much combat experience
and how many recent combat losses). The
special forces may be expected to be small in
number, but of veteran or even elite quality,
and well led. For that matter, some of the local
indigenous forces may be very well led (others
may have bad leadership though). The locals
most likely are a lightly armoured force, that
can move fast, but has little indigenous support
in the way of armour, arty, air.

Now, the SF being present may introduce air or
artillery assets (with the SF acting as FAO/FAC).
Also, the SF themselves will be well equiped.

So far, we're not talking about anything vanilla
SG doesn't represent.

As part of the "evening up" between the two
sides, the side with the SF may have off-board
EW (from nearby flying command centers or
from dedicated jammer planes or air
scatterable jammers). They may have tacair
(GMS, autocannons, deadfall ordinance,
precision munitions). They may have off-board
artillery and perhaps some on-board light
mortars (man portable).

One of the interesting aspects is the middle of
the road army may have varying levels of
morale, from green troops with motivation
levels that are LOW (except within a short
distance of certain key motivating units - the
veterans/elite/commisars). The die-hards/elite
units may well have HIGH motivation. However,
if these HIGH motivation troops are removed,
the LOW motivation the other units feel may be
manifest. While the HIGH motivation units are
still in the fight (and with LOS to the LOWer
motivation units), these other units probably
fight as MEDIUM motivation.

On the SF side, the locals may also have a quite
varied set of motivation levels. The SF
undoubtedly add to the motivation of their
forces, and if they were killed (thus possibly
taking away the off-board support!), the overall
motivation of the indigenous force may well
drop to LOW. As long as the SF are on the
table, they may well have MEDIUM or HIGH
motivation.

Either side, depending on the situation, may
have suicide commandos (not terribly effective,
unless they appear from hiding or the scenario
also entails the presence of non-combatants
they can hide within).

That's kind of a general discussion, but I was
thinking of trying out a generic scenario with
Red SF and Red Indigs vs. Blue Army. Red force
would have high motivation as long as the SF
squads (maybe two fireteams out of a total of
8-10 squads on the attacking Red side) and
drop to LOW (and get no off board support
when that happened!). The Blue force would
have varying motivation levels across the force,
but would have 6 squads plus 2-4 armoured
vehicles, of which 2-3 fireteams would be
Stiffeners. If these were destroyed, the forces
morale would drop to LOW. As long as these
were around, the force would have Medium
motivation (the elite fireteam high).

The objective for Red Force would be to use
their indigenous forces and off board support
to dislodge the defending Blue Force. Red
would have tacair and artillery on call. Blue
would have (sometimes.... random roll say
50%) artillery on call. Red only SF can call the
off board support, Blue any unit can (as long as
it is still fighting). Red might also be granted 2
or 3 EW chits.

So Blue has defender advantages, perhaps
some fighting positions, and AFVs and some
arty. Red has slightly more numerous force
(though lightly armoured), heavy off board
support, and good morale.

Remains to be seen if this will be balanced.
Once I've done a few playtests, I'll write
something up for stargrunt.ca. I'm already
about 66% done a scenario based off of the
final segment of 'Tears of the Sun' which should
go up sooner or later.

Tomb

PS - My heart goes out to the US POWs and
their families. Bunch of mechanics.... seems like
they made a wrong turn or something. Prayers
for their safe return and fewer accidents and
fratricides in the coming days.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: [OT] to cheer everyone up..... Next: Re: [OT] to cheer everyone up.....