Prev: Re: Allow me to differ (the [OT] discussion) with Allan Next: Re: Allow me to differ (the [OT] discussion) with Allan

Aliens of John C

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:03:03 -0500
Subject: Aliens of John C

  Flight -- running away from the threat,
   Fight -- attacking the threat,
   or Freeze -- holding still and hoping that
the threat
   won't notice you.

[Tomb] A bit on the simplistic side, but you
acknowledged that.

     Timidity -- Units recieve *two*
Suppression markers
     when they
come under fire, rather than one.

[Tomb] Might also have to up the max
suppressions to > 3.

     Caution -- Units automatically go "In
Position" when
     they recieve a
Supression marker, and must come out of
position (as per the
rules) before they can move.

[Tomb] I assume this IP is still post-fire-
resolution or else this becomes a really
handy defense.

For Flight, which appears to be the default
Herbivore response, you could do the
following:
     When a unit is activated, it must
immediately make one confidence check for
every Suppression marker that it has.
For each failed test, the unit must spend an
action to make a Combat Move away from
any and all visible attackers.	If
the tests are passed, the unit may act
normally.  (I have this particular system in
mind for my Grey aliens, who would
be making that confidence test at a
considerable penalty.)

[Tomb] Book-keeping point: If I have 3
suppressions and have to spend three
actions moving away, a) that is more than
one activation so I have to track this
somehow and b) can I move with these
suppressions in place (assume you answer
yes here ?).

For Fight, on the other hand....  The
problem here is that, when facing modern
(or future!) firearms, the Fight response
is likely to get you killed.

[Tomb] Depends on the exact nature of the
beast.

     A unit with two or more Suppression
markers must immediately make a
confidence check when it is activated.	If
this check is passed, the unit may attempt
to remove the markers as normal (probably
at a bonus, since we're assuming an
aagressive species).  If the check is
*failed*, however, the unit must
immediately charge the nearest enemy
unit, with a movement bounus of +d8" for
this movement only.  (With
sufficiently nasty aliens, give this charge a
"Terror" effect and you'll give them a
slightly better chance of surviving.)

[Tomb] You don't give fleeing forces bonus
movements. Do you ever recall the old
phrase "I can run faster scared than you
can angry!" ?

You've got the Remorseless Killing Machine
option, which ignores Suppression entirely,

[Tomb] That's the RKM with High Armour
and No Survival Instincts.

 and has plenty of fictional
precedents.  More interestingly, you've got
GDW's "Kafers", who react to stress by
boosting their intelligence.

(Easy enough to do with SGII: Kafer units
start as Greens, but for every Suppression
marker they receive their quality
level improves by a step.)

[Tomb] Still, I don't think good enough.
>From the first time they sight the enemy, I
have them go up a confidence level every
turn. This means if you don't take them out
in a turn or two, you're in some trouble. If
you haven't killed them in 4 turns..... ouch.
Just basing it on suppressions makes no
accounting for their ability to recognize an
enemy/threat (which they can do). Also,
there is the issue of officers rousing them
faster (presented in the original game). I'd
even suggest raising QD once per
activation. That means that officers, by
reactivating units, get them combat ready
faster. Also, one could argue for a high
initial Leadership Value which reduces too.
Kafers are a very interesting race and the
Kravak miniatures bear a striking (read: not
entirely accidental....) similarity to the
descriptions of Kafers. ;)

[Tomb] Beth mentioned some. Let me
recall my lists:
- movement modifiers (faster/slower)
- modifiers to spotting (maybe some are
hiders or very observant)
- Panic and Last Stand modifiers
- Upshifts to CC QD or downshifts
- Modifiers to CC initiation rolls or stand-to-
defend rolls.
- Modifiers to efficacy of ranged combat
- Modifiers to effective motivation levels
and even to some of the test
types/severities
- Perhaps in extreme cases, modifiers to
the number of available actions (giving 3
actions per activation to units in some sort
of hyper-adrenal state might be interesting
though quite potent and limitiing to 1 a
race suffering from a fear effect might also
be quite potent)
- Modifiers to the way command transfers
work (it might be harder to talk to fearful
or enraged troops, some races may have
better transfer mechanisms like telepathy
or complex pheremones or multi-spectral
multi-channel comms giving high info
bandwidth)
- Limitations to abilties to operate as
individual figures or to attach/detach units
(or enhancements to these same
capabilities)
- Presence of more/fewer command
elements (with corresponding
increase/decrease in available command
transfers)

There are plenty of ways to make aliens
interesting.

Just keep in mind two simple guidelines I
use:

1) Not all aliens must be tougher.
Sometimes if one giveth, one should taketh
away at the same time. Thus a particular
alien race might have some great benefits,
but really suck in another regard. Strive for
something that provides nuanced tactics
that differentiate the race from humans
(else they're all just bump headed humans
in some latex makeup).

2) You don't *have* to balance them WRT
to humans 1:1. That is, my KV tend to be
nastier than conventional humans, but
when I ran Grey Day To Die, I gave the
humans about a 10-15% manpower
advantage to make up for that (it was a
guestimate). The KV were faster, harder to
kill, etc. Playtesting will be required to
ascertain what "fudge factors" are
involved. Balance should be achieved at the
force level, rather than individual level. It
may be achieved at the force level by
balancing individuals against one another,
but it is better to take a holistic look to
force balance in SG and DS and use some
judgement (yes, this is hard for newbies, I
admit, but better in the long run).

Tomb
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst