Prev: Re: [PSB] WIngs Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together? Next: ISO metal bases

Heat disposition in space

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:36:10 -0500
Subject: Heat disposition in space

I understood one of the big challenges in space
was not cooking (due to all the heat generated
by your crew, your equipment, your weapons,
your drives, etc.) combined with your inability to
radiate it effectively (I believe this has
something to do with space being a vaccuum
and this being a fair insulator?). Now, IIRC, the
shuttle deals with this woe by jettisoning
material into which it has jammed a bunch of
heat it wants to say goodbye to (but I could be
mistaken).

I've also heard about heaters now that use
directed heat - they heat what they point at -
essentially an IR radiator or something of the
sort. Now, these are electrically powered.

But is it conceivable that the waste heat from
the ship could be usefully transformed into
emittable radiation (and directionally
controllable at that)? Or would this process
never be efficient enough to meet the major
need? I ask, because if this was the case, having
movable wings that could radiate heat would be
a good thing.... you could then radiate your
heat *away* from a direction you wanted to be
stealthy in (assuming you knew which direction
that was!).

I find the whole space is cold, space is hot thing
interesting. In some sci-fi, you see it depicted
as amazingly cold, in others, things boil. The
truth is, if I've got it right, space (a vaccuum) is
temperatureless (no matter to have a
temperature). The heat is the heat you bring
with you or generate, and the cold is the result
of things like your O2 being allowed to vent into
a zero pressure.... thus sucking in heat to
expand (endothermic?). Kind of a neat
combination of problems, really.

Tomb
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [PSB] WIngs Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together? Next: ISO metal bases