Prev: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon Next: Re: The Tonk!

The Tonk!

From: "Scott Clinton" <grumbling_grognard@h...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:25:23 -0600
Subject: The Tonk!

Excellent!

I really like them.  They have balance and most of all they seem to have
"style" all there own.

Are those non-PA trooper figures GW Imperial Guard with there faces
redone?
I like them as well, nice job.

I will endeavor to eat only "Tonk Friendly Tuna" from now on out of
respect
for these noble critters.  :-)

Scott Clinton
The Grumbling Grognard

> [...]

>Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:51:32 -0500
>From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Water Cooled Vickers Guns....
>
> > I suggest that Water cooled barrels in the context of Power armor
> > could be a viable solution because of the following:
> >
> > The need for sustained fire vs high volume bursts.
>
>You really need both, and electric gattling guns deliever both.
>
> > The need for minimal difficult to acquire consumables off of high
> > tech worlds where super concentrated buckeyball cooling fluid isn't
> > really available.
>
>Then how are you going to maintain the PA?
>
> > The need for enhancing barrel length in excess of what you get with
> > air cooled weapons in any materials science context.
>
>Most of the material in a barrel isn't to keep the pressure in.  It's
>keep the barrel from drooping and to act as a heat sink.
>
> > The possibility that you'd actually have to go up against waves of
> > attackers (I'll bet planners didn't expect Human Waves in Korea)
> > especially in far away, out of the way places where you can't get
> > your high-tech buckeyball lined barrels in mass quantities to
replace.

>Then again, how are you going to maintain the PA?  If you can't get the
>small parts to replace on the mini-gun, how are you going to get the
large
>parts to replace worn out components on the PA?
>
> > The fact that water is universal, troops need it, IC engines need
it,
> > it's easy to make, it's easy to find unless you're on Dune and
> > generally available where humans are. Water purification is fairly
> > easy. Rather than needed some superduper glycol based coolant, use
> > water with a bit of anti-freeze added.
>
>Just don't try using it on Hoth...
>
> > I'm not talking about a Vickers (1) with the bloody tripod strapped
> > on to some PA troopers arm. I'm talking about a sleek barrel with a
> > small, armored jacket or even set of tubes running down it's length
> > that would have a return and supply line running to the back mounted
> > Power and environmental unit on the PA. Run the cooling circuits in
> > parallel, one air circulator slightly larger for the increased
> > airflow.
>
>Some how I suspect that the power jack built into the mounting point
for a
>mini-gun would be much less sensative shrapnel damage...
>
> > Your barrels will last much longer if they stay a lower temperature.
> > You won't have to change barrels nearly as often and given realistic
> > supply lines, you'll be able to source a more basic type of ammo
from
> > a variety of sources vs relying on your super supply chain all the
> > way back to high tech worlds where they make your super buckey-ball
> > materials.
>
>Yet again, how are you going to maintain the PA?  I wouldn't be to
quick on
>the ammo sourcing.  Higher tech ammo opperates at higher pressure.
This