Prev: Re: [OT] Visit to the States Next: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:55:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

> A gallon of gas weighs approximately 2.8 kg, so if you burn 10 gallons
an
hour you have released 322 Kcal of energy.  If in one hour you fire a
conservative 100 rounds per minute, 1 gram of propellent per bullet, you
release 4,308 Kcal of energy.  Multiply by 4 for 400 rounds per minute
that
is being discussed.

> Note that the 1 gram per bullet is probably low, I couldn't find a
number
for grains of propellent in 7.62 NATO, but 1 grain is 0.648 grams, so
two
grains would be 1.296 grams.  For comparison, most .45 ammo is loaded to
5
or 6 grains of smokeless powder.

There's a big problem with this; you're leaving out a critical variable.
The brass casing acts as a heat sink and absorbs a lot of the heat and
removes it from the system when the casing is ejected.	Car engines
don't
have anything similar to this.

This is also what made caseless ammo such #$^%$@@ to get to work.  HK
teamed
up with Dynamite Noble and ended up using a propellent derived from
solid
rocket fuel, not traditional gun powder to get a propellant that
wouldn't
cookoff.

ias

Prev: Re: [OT] Visit to the States Next: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon