Prev: Rubber buildings used at GZG ECC Next: Re: [ISO] Custom decals

Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:03:45 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

At 5:29 PM -0600 3/10/03, staremu wrote:
>Well, I think mobility is key to modern and likely to futuristic
warfare.  I
>am sure that if a water-cooled MG was more mobile tactics would have
evolved
>around it, but they haven't.  I don't think you'll find anyone
complaining
>because their MG doesn't have a cooling system - ammo shortages and
>bulkiness yes.

Umm, they were and they are.

Several vehicles in WWII had water cooled Vickers MGs. Vickers light
tanks up to the Mk VIb and A13s up to the Mk III. Infantry tanks had
them as well. The .50 cal Vickers used in Anti-aircraft roles was
also water cooled, it was mostly a naval mount however.  I'd say that
the Water Cooled MG didn't stay in use because of weight, rather it
was replaced in the ground/portable role because of weight and in the
emplaced/vehicle/ship mounted anti-aircraft role because of size of
projectile/range issues. I say this because there are several AA
mounts today that use water cooling to maintain
--
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '43 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Rubber buildings used at GZG ECC Next: Re: [ISO] Custom decals