Prev: Re: WWII MGs Next: RE: WWII MGs ++

Re: WWII MGs ++

From: Tim Bancroft <tim@d...>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:26:41 -0000
Subject: Re: WWII MGs ++

><rmgill@mindspring.com> said:
>I'm a fan of the Vickers family of MGs[...] Those enfields can put lead

out to 1000 yards.
Absolutely: "No weapon is obsolete in the hands of someone who intends
use it." (possibly Falkenburg, but I think it predate's Pournelle).
This
may sound odd, but I quite liked older rifles, even preferred them to
somewhat more "modern" rifles [but then I know I'm odd, have never even
touched the infamous SA80 and actually prefer bows ;-)].

>Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk said:
> [...] and so a water-cooled weapon could require too much in terms of
support to be
> sufficiently mobile, and so is not considered preferable to less
durable,
but less
> demanding alternatives that are easier to move. I guess what is needed
is
a good
> water recycling system...
>Don M" <dmaddox1@hot.rr.com> said:
> Why carry water when you could carry more (pick one or more)
> ammo/fuel/armor/?.
>Beth.Fulton@csiro.au said:
> [...could water cooled MGs ...] resurface on power armour, which would
be
> less concerned with the weight issues. Feasible?
[brain chugs].... Whilst not quite the same, even 1970's CPU coolant
systems were multi-layer going from a gas to water to air.  Whilst the
Slammers sometimes had cooling/heat probs (DS2 "Firing Systems Failure")

optomising these shouldn't be a problem in today's technology.	And
given
that power armour is likely to need coolant, as well, the "carrying
coolant" issues are already present and solved.  It seems to me the main

issue is "ruggedising" the coolant systems (as always, I guess).

Hmmm...Perhaps a bit off-topic, and this is where my ignorance tells: As
it
was so good, was the Vickers ever really upgraded?

>John Leary <john_t_leary@yahoo.com>said:
>But,  much of Germany superior equipment really was over-hyped (the
Tiger
for example).
I've heard the Tiger had fuel problems, and suspect it had a few armour
issues, but for interest what were the other over-hypes?

Have fun
Tim "Probably wearing a WJ t-shirt and looking hot at Salute" Bancroft

Prev: Re: WWII MGs Next: RE: WWII MGs ++