Prev: Re: WWII MGs Next: Re: WWII MGs

Re: WWII MGs

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:57:11 -0500
Subject: Re: WWII MGs

At 12:25 PM -0500 3/7/03, Flak Magnet wrote:

>And here I'm thinking that mines and arty were the only viable
>area-denial weapons.  Go figure.

Mortars were new at the time. MGs were pretty well and developed at the
time.

You can get a finer Area denial with the MGs than you can with
mortars and AFVs weren't an issue much at the time. All that plunging
fire would naturally preclude the use of trenches with out over head
fire.

Max range was something like 4600 yards. Pretty respectable. At about
a belt a minute standard fire rate (bursts, faster than what modern
MGs can keep up and not over heat) you have about 7 belts worth
before your barrel jacket has boiled off. Fill it back up or maintain
it and you're good to go for far more belts. Barrels are good for
10,000 rounds if kept cool.

>I was thinking more along the lines of line-infantry weapons, though I
>didn't explicity state that.

Infantry weapons are generally too light to be water cooled. The
water iteself is bloody heavy. Vickers gun teams tended to have a
vehicle of some sort for each gun. A Vickers carrier (universal
carrier) in WWII was ideal. You'd move to the battle area in the
vehicle, sometimes operate from the vehicle, sometimes from ground
positions. The effective range allowed for a nice long distance from
your targets as I understand it.

>>From what I hear, there are 3rd world countries still training with
>Vickers.  It's a gun that should never die...

India still has them. So does Pakistan. I see them in photo's of
Kashmir every so often. They have the range and the firepower (as
well as reliability) to handle the harsh conditions. Those receivers
are all milled steel that's forged in some cases. They're bloody
tough guns and last for millions of rounds. If you look close, you'll
see Enfields, Brens, Fals and other old british weapons alongside the
AKs that are really only good for short ranged work. Those enfields
can put lead out to 1000 yards.

http://photo.worldnews.com/PhotoArchive//Kurt/RPH2002121100596_large.jpg

Fn Fal, Mk III turtle helmet (I think). WWI Mills Pattern sling, just
green.

I'll see these photos and videos every so often. When you see
footage, look close at what they have.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: WWII MGs Next: Re: WWII MGs