Prev: Re: [OT] 25mm Paper Buildings Available Next: Re: [OT] 25mm Paper Buildings Available

Re: FT-Need help on a new weapon thought

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:42:21 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Need help on a new weapon thought

Ah - an easy question to answer :-)

BIF wrote:

>I am after designing a new weapon (for use in a personal universe), but

>require a bit of help balancing it with other weapons. The weapon is a
>short ranged, high powered beam weapon. I already have the C mode
pulsars,
>and am after something with the same range, but more penitration and
dammage.

A larger number of C-mode Pulsers? <g>

>I am thinking of using a MKP, with every level of screens reducing it`s

>power by 1 level/class,

Er... MKPs don't have "levels", so I'm not entirely sure what this means

:-( Do you mean
"reducing the damage per hit by 1 per screen level" (so a hit on a ship
with level-1 screens only inflicts 4-1 = 3 pts and a hit against screen
level 2 inflicts 4-2 = 2 pts), or something like that?

If you're going to use standard beam dice including re-rolls to
determine
the number of 4-pt hits, why not simply use the normal beam-vs-screen
mechanic but inflict a single 4-pt "K-gun" hit for each "beam damage
point"
scored?

>with a 6 using rerolls (as per normal beams), and having the same PDS
as a
>Class 1 beam bat. The problem I have is deciding a sutable mass/cost
for
>such a weapon. My first thought is for a mass of 3, a cost of 15, with
4
>points of dammage (before screens and reroll).

Unless I've missed something important this mass and cost should be OK
for
an all-arc weapon. Note that this weapon actually inflicts on average
*less* damage per shot than a C-mode Pulser does (3.2 pts/shot against
unscreened targets compared to 4.8 pts!), though it has better armour
penetration.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] 25mm Paper Buildings Available Next: Re: [OT] 25mm Paper Buildings Available